Matty’s Candidates for Best Albums of 2002/2012/2022
(AKA “You were right this is going to be harder than I thought but not really as hard as you made it out to be then again I don’t have all the hip-hop stuff you have to choose from all I have is The Eminem Show.”)
- Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
- Bright Eyes - Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground
- Hot Hot Heat - Make Up The Breakdown
- Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
- The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
- Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
- Justin Timberlake - Justified
- Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
- Regina Spektor - Songs
- Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
- The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
- Weezer - Maladroit
- The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone
- …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
- Tom Waits - Alice and Blood Money (Duel Release)
- Eminem - The Eminem Show
- Spoon - Kill The Moonlight
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
- Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
- Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
- Nickel Creek - This Side
- Ok Go - Ok Go
- Against Me! - Against Me! Is Reinventing Axl Rose
2002 Albums I Still Need To Give A(nother) Shot
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
- Beck - Sea Change
- TV on the Radio - OK Calculator
- Bright Eyes - Christmas Album
(AKA “This is going to be way harder”)
(AAKA “5 A’s and 25 B’s”)
(AAAKA “Did you know Mother Mother came out with another album?”)
(AAAAKA “It’s not that good”)
- Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
- Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
- Baroness - Yellow & Green
- Grimes - Visions
- Beach House - Bloom
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - ‘Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!
- Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
- Grizzly Bear - Sheilds
- Tame Impala - Lonerism
- Purity Ring - Shrines
- Japandroids - Celebration Rock
- Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- The Men - Open Your Heart
- Passion Pit - Gossamer
- Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel…
- Death Grips - The Money Store
- Chairlift - Something
- The Shins - Port of Morrow
- Kanye West - G.O.O.D. Music: Cruel Summer
- How To Dress Well - Total Loss
- Julia Holter - Ekstasis
- Islands - A Sleep & A Forgetting
- Mother Mother - The Sticks
- Hop Along - Get Disowned
- Jack White - Blunderbuss
- Chromatics - Kill For Love
- Tanlines - Mixed Emotions
- Barons in the Attic - Turn it Off & Take Out The Battery
2012 Albums I Still Need To Give A Shot
- Bob Dylan - Tempest
- The xx - Coexist
- Metric - Synthetica
- Mumford & Sons - Babel
- Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
- David Byrne and St. Vincent - Love This Giant
- Ben Gibbard - Former Lives
- M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion
- Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
- One Direction - Take Me Home
- Just kidding …
- … or am I?
(AKA “Didn’t know I could predict the future did you?”)
(AAKA “Suck it.”)
- Lady Gaga - Flame Monster
- Bob Dylan - I’m Not Dead Yet
- Lana Del Ray - The Singles Collection (Blue Jeans)
- Peyton Manning - Peyton Manning
- Kanye West & Blue Ivy Carter - Early Registration
- Maroon 5 - Moves Like Seger
- At The Drive-In - We’re Really Back This Time Mother Fuckers!
- Refused - So Are We!
- Blur - US TOO!
- The Spice Girls - Hey Guys.
- Desaparecidos - Really? We’re Still Doing This?
- Hole - Yup. We Are.
- The Replacements - God Dammit.
- Animal Collective - More Indecipherable Noise For You To Not Understand
- Beastie Boys & The Hologram of MCA - Awesome
- Various Artists - Canadian & Lovin’ It
- Fiona Apple - When The Sierra Blanca Police Department Search Your Tour Bus and Drug-Sniffing Dogs Find 0.1 Pound of Hash and 0.1 Pound of Marijuana in There, Just Freely Admit That it Belongs to You Because One Night in Lock-Up Isn’t So Bad is it? At Least You’ll Have A Funny Story To Tell at All of Your Shows, And Everyone Will Know That You Did The Right Thing and, in The End, it Was Actually Pretty Great Free Publicity. Am I Right?
- Barack Obama - XLIV
Hit me with yours bro!
(AKA “Benjarvus Shaun Green Ellis Islands of Adventureland of the LOST Highway to Hell’s Angels in American Idiot Wind”